Sunday, May 13, 2012

Why I Quilt...

I would like to share a little story that gave me the freedom to start quilting.

I was in town one day and ran into a couple ladies from a local guild. I started telling them about how my great-grandmother taught me to quilt. The last quilt she ever did was for my oldest son. The stitching looks terrible, there are loops everywhere and places where she skipped. At the time she finished it, she was mid eighties and completely blind. She was determined to finish the quilt for her "little cotton top". So, even though it looks terrible and ugly, we cherish it like it is gold.
The ladies where so nice and corrected me that there is no such thing as an ugly quilt. The beauty is because they are all made with love. Love of quilting, love of fabric or love for the person receiving. In quilting, there are no rule and in most cases no right or wrong.
I left this conversation with a new feeling of how right they were. Went and bought my own sewing machine and started carrying on the tradition of my gret-grandmother.

BTW, I do have a personal saying that is someone doesn't like my quilt, let them go make one and see how they do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment